Thursday, June 01, 2006

I visited Donna the Hippo today...

at the Mesker Zoo. I also saw the infamous Monkey Ship, took lots of pictures, and accomplished some useful research in the education center thanks to the assistance of several staff members. Right now I am blogging from Panera, or I'd be uploading a teaser picture or two. I had a great day at the Zoo, and even if I weren't working, I would have enjoyed my visit. When I first arrived at 9am, the Zoo was empty and storms threatened. I took some quick pictures and video of the Monkey Ship and then went inside briefly before exploring the Zoo.

It was wild to feel like the only person at the Zoo (there were probably 3-5 people that I saw while walking around). The animals seemed calmer, and I felt as though I were intruding by looking at them. I was especially touched looking at the various primates.

I saw two hippos, lots of tortoises, some turtles, many birds (in the Kley building), two grey wolves, a tiger (who looked a bit cramped in his cage), horses, Axis deer, lemurs, gibbons (who were singing!!!), peacocks (more on them later), bald eagles, owls, snakes, frogs, bats, ostriches, other primates, and lots of things I'm probably forgetting.

When I took pictures of the Monkey Ship, no children were there, but it indeed is a bumper boat park for children. HH could look down from a slight hill overlooking the bumper boat park and hear the voices of children at play.

I'll do some driving around this evening, take some more pictures, and head out tomorrow morning. I may take Rt. 50 back, which means a longer trip, but I'm thinking it might be the sort of highway HH would drive. We'll see. More tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home