Sunday, July 23, 2006

My California adventures...

Just a few words on the experience of being here in CA. It's been a great trip, and I'm very thankful to the helpful folks I've met here.

My first stop, the Public Library, was an excellent destination and provided a lot of useful material. Even the midafternoon evacuation didn't slow me down. : )

My trip to Mission Dolores was productive; I have contact information - a business town until Monday, so I will perhaps try to reach him Monday before I leave - or just call once I'm back in OH. I took some video both in the Mission and in the cemetery. I also took some good shots at the site. I need to learn a bit more about the site in the 40s, but those questions might be answered by a book I purchased in the shop. I was interested to learn of the Mexico connection, which I think might be an avenue to pursue for an article.

At Russian Gulch, Tracy, the park ranger with whom I'd been in email contact, was very helpful to me in allowing me to look at the unit history that she kept - it wasn't too detailed, but it did have some fragments of material. I took some video both on the beach and up on the ridge overlooking the Pacific ocean. It's beautiful in Mendocino County. I've never seen anytihng quite like it. The "blow hole" was impressive - and the sign (pictured in another post) nearly scared me away.

At Mt. St. Helena, I did my research at Bothe Napa State Park - thanks to Linda Moran, who was in the visitor's center, and Eileen Bielecki, with whom I corresponded before visit. They were both very helpful to me. I bought a book by Ken Stanton and have his contact info, so I will try to call him soon. I also stopped by the Silverado Museum, where Mr. Reynolds is curator. Although I didn't learn anything period-specific, I did pick up a copy of the Silverado Squatters by RLS - and Mr. Reynolds kindly gave me a copy of his play.

So, tomorrow I leave for OH. I won't arrive until Tuesday, so I am not looking forward to the trip home - and then the drive from the airport to the house. Then I'm off on Th to Charleston, SC to see Magnolia Plantations.

Overall, I really enjoy this sort of research - it's challenging, because I'm following these various threads without necessarily knowing what I'm chasing. I'm looking forward to writing more and to seeing the results of my efforts on the Web site. I think Lolita readers will find the site useful - I know that I've learned a great deal already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home