Sunday, July 30, 2006

Talking with Mr. Johnny Leach

While at Magnolia Plantation, I had the opportunity to speak with someone who has been working on the Plantation for 58 years. On a hot, humid day, you would think that an 85 year old man, who claimed he was "retired," wouldn't be outside working, but he was - and looked more comfortable outside than I did!

Ms. Jane Taylor introduced me to Mr. Leach, and we talked about how the Plantation and Gardens had changed since the 1940s. Initially, Mr. Leach was shy and quiet, but the more I asked him about his work, the more animated he became. He explained to me that the Gardens today do look different than they did in the 1940s as things have become more overgrown and plants have been added, so that the Gardens can remain open all year . When HH and Lolita would have visited, the Gardens would have only been open for 3 months or so. He also explained that now they have machines to do things that were done by hand back then - when about 20 people worked the Plantation and Gardens.

There's more to this interview, but I just wanted to give a few details. Thank you to Mr. Leach for speaking with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home