Thursday, August 31, 2006

Project Update

I thought it was time to give a sense of where I am with this project. I've visited numerous places, taken a good number of photos, shot some video, spoke with too many people to name, written a lot, and really learned a great deal in the past few months.

Britt Carr at Miami is working on the technical aspects (FLASH programming, etc.) for the Web interface. We may have an image of an old Plymouth to use as the navigation window, but I still would like to get a 41 Plymouth...my own "Melmoth." I can't just use a picture from the Web because the image has to be taken from a certain angle to be useful on the site. So, if anyone has any contacts that might help, please contact me.

I sent off letters today to Mrs. Hastie, who was one of the Plantation owners at the time that VN visited. I hope she remembers his visit. I also sent a letter to Mr. Manny Hough thanking him and his crew there in Shakespeare for their help. There's so much more I'd like to share on this blog, but I am also aware that much of what I want to say will have a more appropriate venue on the actual formal Web site for the project. So, if there's a question you have, please let me know. I haven't made any earth-shattering discoveries about VN, but I believe I have uncovered some details that other scholars haven't. We'll see.

I've also really appreciated the support and interest of Mr. Dmitri Nabokov. I try to avoid bothering him too much, but there have been a few times when I've asked him about whether his father was in a particular place.

Otherwise, it's back to teaching for me, so less travel. I will be in Death Valley in October. I also need to apply for more funding for this coming summer.

Thank you for reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger REDSOXFAN said...

Hello there Miami of Ohio. I am not sure how you got linked to me or hits from my site to yours. I may have visited your site in the past week or so.
My site is jumbled. My site is a mess and has no distinguishing features or purpose other than my original plan which was to complain about the RedSox and to post my miseries about the miss handelings created by the front office. I am a coach at UM. It is my first year there after moving from Boston where I was Coaching at Boston College for 12 years. I played baseball for BC and transfered as a junior to Notre Dame where I also played after sitting out one year as a transfer.NCAA rules.Then back to BC to finish my Masters.
Life has been good to me and I am blessed to have all that I have and a great and wonderful wife to boot!
You have an interesting life yourself and seem as busy as all heck.Good luck to you and your family. I will check up on you from time to time and to see how your website and blog are going. god bless and thanks for the visit.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home