Saturday, August 26, 2006

Looking ahead to today, looking back to yesterday


So, today I go into Shakespeare, NM. I am very excited about my visit. I just finished Janaloo Hill's piece on Russian Bill. I also emailed DN to ask whether his father ever mentioned Rita Hill. I'm a bit bummed that what I wrote last night didn't get posted, and it seems like the blog as a whole is acting up. Oh well. These entries are really just for friends/family to see what I'm up to and how I'm handling the project.

Last night at the rodeo was interesting as it was the first time I've attended a ranch rodeo and heard the word "rodeo" used as a very - as in "Ok, let's rodeo!" The Bay ranch took the first event - the name of which I can't recall - but it involved roping horses in a pen, saddling them up, mounting them simultaneously, and riding past a chalk line at the other end of the arena. I really wondered about the timekeeper as it just seemed like 1:50 was a bit too brief for what they did. The second event involved cutting and driving cattle. That was a huge challenge for some. Imagine about two dozen or so cattle, and you have to find the four that are marked with your number ("brand"), cut them, and drive them into a pen at the other end of the arena.

I feel like I should include a picture since last night's post was lost. So I will below:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home